Gylfi Sigurðsson Will Not Sue for Damages, Attorney Says

Footballer

Footballer Gylfi Sigurðsson has decided not to sue for damages against the British authorities in connection with a prolonged criminal investigation that was eventually dropped last April. This was revealed by attorney Róbert Spanó in a written response to an inquiry from Mbl.is.

No suit for damages, all things being equal

Icelandic footballer Gylfi Sigurðsson has chosen not to pursue legal action against British authorities after a 637-day investigation by the Manchester police into allegations of sexual offenses, Mbl.is reports.

“After careful consideration, Gylfi has decided to look ahead. All things being equal, he intends to refrain from claiming damages,” Róbert Spanó, Gylfi’s attorney, stated in a written response to an inquiry from Mbl.is.

As previously reported by IR, Gylfi was arrested in July 2021. He was released on bail shortly after his arrest but has not played a professional football match since then. The charges were dropped in April of this year after an investigation team collaborating with the Crown Prosecution Service concluded that the available evidence did “not reach the threshold set out on the Code for Crown Prosecutors.”

Mbl.is reports that Gylfi, who was under contract with the English Premier League team Everton, suffered considerable financial losses as a result of the investigation. “His football career has also suffered a considerable setback,” Mbl.is notes.

Attorney Róbert Spanó had previously told Mbl.is that Gylfi was considering a lawsuit. “In my opinion, it is clear that the handling of the case in the UK took far too long in light of the circumstances. It has caused significant damage to Gylfi and his family, as well as enormous harm. In the coming days, Gylfi will receive legal advice on whether there is a reason to seek justice in the British courts,” Róbert told Mbl.is in April.

Mbl.is notes that the English Premier League team Everton intends to seek compensation for the case and demands 10 million pounds or what amounts to about ISK 1.7 billion.

Icelander Róbert Spano Elected President of European Court of Human Rights

The European Court of Human Rights elected Icelander Róbert Ragnar Spano as its new President yesterday. He will take office on May 18, 2020, succeeding Linos-Alexandre Sicilianos, from Greece. At 47, Róbert is the youngest president in the 61-year history of the European Court of Human Rights.

Róbert was born in Reykjavík, Iceland in 1972, and studied law at the University of Iceland before completing a Magister Juris degree in European and Comparative Law at the University of Oxford. Róbert served as a legal advisor and deputy to the Parliamentary Ombudsman in Iceland and taught at the University of Iceland’s Faculty of Law, where he served as Dean from 2010-2013.

Róbert has been a judge of the European Court of Human Rights since November 2013 and Vice President of the Court since May 5, 2019. He speaks five languages: Icelandic, English, Italian, French, and Danish.