No Deadline for Decision on Whether Gylfi Þór Sigurðsson Will Be Prosecuted in UK

The Office of the Crown Prosecutor in the UK is currently reviewing evidence against Icelandic footballer Gylfi Þór Sigurðsson and deciding whether it will pursue prosecution against the former Everton midfielder or drop the matter entirely, RÚV reports. Gylfi Þór has been accused of “multiple sexual offenses” and has been subject to a travel ban that has prevented him from leaving the UK since being arrested at his home in Manchester in July 2021.

Responding to an inquiry from RÚV, Nazia Dewji, a spokesperson for the Office of the Crown Prosecutor, said that there was no set deadline by which a decision on the matter must be made. Dewji said that the evidence from the police investigation had been received by the prosecutor at the end of January.

Gylfi Þór was released on bail shortly after his arrest, but has not played in a professional football match since then. He was taken off the active roster for the Premier League team Everton and his contract was not renewed when it ran out last summer. He has not played with the Icelandic Men’s National Team since then either.

In October 2022, Gylfi Þór’s father Sigurður Aðalsteinsson, gave an interview in which he called on the Icelandic government to come to his son’s assistance. The case had been dragged on for far longer than legally reasonable, he argued. “If someone is detained in some [other] country for some hypothetical offense, you can’t just let him languish there for a year, year and a half just endlessly waiting,” he said. At the time, the footballer’s family hoped to change Gylfi Þór’s legal domicile to Iceland so as to make it harder for the British judiciary to extend his travel ban. It was the first time that anyone close to Gylfi Þór had confirmed that any such travel ban existed.

Update April 14, 2023: Charges Dropped Against Footballer Gylfi Þór Sigurðsson

English Footballers Fined for Breaking Quarantine in Iceland

English national football players Mason Greenwood (18) and Phil Foden (20) have been fined ISK 250,000 ($1,780/€1,510) each for breaking quarantine rules while in Iceland for a match with England’s national men’s team last weekend, Vísir reports. The players have both issued apologies for meeting two Icelandic women in their hotel, a violation of the “working quarantine” regulations visiting athletes are required to follow.

Foden, who has a girlfriend and one-year-old son, has issued an apology on his Twitter page. In the statement, he admitted to breaching COVID-19 protocols, calling it a “poor decision” that “didn’t meet the standards expected of [him].” Foden apologised to team manager Gareth Southgate, as well as staff, supporters, and his family.

Greenwood’s apology, issued via Manchester United, was more concise. “Having now had the chance to reflect on what’s happened, I can only apologise to everyone for the embarrassment I have caused,” it reads. “It was irresponsible of me to break the COVID-19 protocols which are in place to protect players, staff and the public.” Greenwood also apologised to Southgate and promised he would learn from the incident.

Women Express Regret

The two women who met with Greenwood and Foden have both expressed regret over the incident, stating they were not aware the players were in quarantine. Lára Clausen (18), one of the young women, posted a series of videos on her Instagram account last night taking responsibility for recording the videos of the players, which she says were leaked from her private Snapchat account. Lára called the meeting a “huge mistake and complete thoughtlessness” on her part. “I honestly had no idea how famous these boys were. I don’t follow football and never have and had no idea what I was putting on the internet.” Lára stated that the players did not tell the women they were in quarantine.  “If we had known better we would have never gone, knowing they were in quarantine.”

Nadía Sif Líndal, the other local who met with the players, posted several Instagram stories insisting that she did not know the players were in quarantine and did not record the Snapchat videos or leak them to the media. Both girls have faced harassment on social media due to the incident. Politicians Hanna Katrín Friðriksson and Helga Vala Helgadóttir are among several public figures that have denounced the vitriol. “Raise your hand if you’ve never done anything stupid,” Helga Vala wrote in a Facebook post about the incident. “Shouldn’t we give them a bit of a break?”