Two Teenagers Hospitalised After Eating Morphine-Laced Gummy Bears Skip to content
Photo: Thomas Rosenau, CC 2.5.

Two Teenagers Hospitalised After Eating Morphine-Laced Gummy Bears

Two teenage girls, aged 13 and 14, were taken unconscious to the hospital this weekend after consuming gummy bears that had been laced with cannabis and morphine, reports a post on the Police in Suðurnes, South Iceland’s Facebook page. Both young women have now been discharged from the hospital and are recovering well.

Police determined that both girls were at the same place on the same evening and both were offered gummy bears by an older teenager who had himself bought the laced candy from an adult man. Neither of the young women knew what was in the candy when they ingested it.

“What we’re obviously talking about here is curiosity among young people,” read the Police post. “The parents of these kids asked us over and over where they got this stuff. Getting access to drugs is extremely easy and for anyone who has been shown how to do it, it only takes a few minutes to scrounge some up.”

The post continues to say that police interrogated the young man regarding the incident, who “was alarmed when he…realised the seriousness of the matter.” The parents of both young women are also working with the Child Protection Agency to address the situation and its implications with them.

“We want to encourage parents to discuss this with their children and educate them about the dangers that are out there,” continues the post, noting that with quick googling, almost anyone can easily make laced gummies in any shape they want. “Worse, however, is that it is possible to put whatever you want in it…You can, for instance, put all kinds of strong medications in it like Contalgin or Oxycontin and you don’t have to guess what the end result will be if a 13-year-old child ingests such a gummy.”

“Please discuss this with your children,” the post concludes, “and have the conversation.”

Share article

Facebook
Twitter

Recommended Posts