Woman Swallows Christmas Ornament Skip to content

Woman Swallows Christmas Ornament

A young woman unintentionally swallowed a small plastic star used for decorating the table at a Christmas dinner party which she attended on Wednesday. The arms of the star were thrust into her gullet and she had to go to the emergency room.

“At first I thought it was a piece of meat that was stuck in my throat,” the young woman, Dagrún Thorsteindóttir, told visir.is. “I tried to get it back up, but when that didn’t work we contacted a doctor, who lives nearby, who told me to go straight to the emergency room.”

“There I managed to throw it up and saw that it was a Christmas ornament the size of a coin. […] It stung badly when the arms [of the plastic star] were thrust into my gullet,” Thorsteinsdóttir said.

Thorsteinsdóttir believes the star probably got stuck in her sleeve when she was reaching for food and landed on her plate, and was hidden beneath sauce or other food so she didn’t notice it when she was eating.

ER nurse Ingibjörg Sigurthórsdóttir said it is not more common that people swallow strange objects during Christmas than during other times of the year. Every now and then the ER staff has to remove objects like tooth brushes, pins or tacks from people’s digestive organs.

Sign up for our weekly newsletter

Get news from Iceland, photos, and in-depth stories delivered to your inbox every week!

* indicates required

Subscribe to Iceland Review

In-depth stories and high-quality photography showcasing life in Iceland!

Share article

Facebook
Twitter

Recommended Posts