Vast Majority Voted with Their Conscience for President Skip to content

Vast Majority Voted with Their Conscience for President

By Andie Sophia Fontaine

Halla Tómasdottir President
Photo: Art Bicnick. Halla Tómasdóttir at Bessastaðir..

Nearly half of Iceland’s voters decided on election day or the day before who they were going to vote for President, according to a new poll from Gallup. Furthermore, 87% said that they voted for the candidate they most wanted to see become Iceland’s new president.

Majority happy with Halla

As reported, Halla Tómasdóttir won Iceland’s presidential elections, which were held on June 1. According to Vísir, about half of respondents said they were either very pleased to see her take office.

20% said they were moderately pleased with the result; 8% said they were moderately displeased; and 6% said they were very displeased. Those who voted for Katrín Jakobsdóttir or Halla Hrund Logadóttir were the most likely to be pleased, while those who voted for Jón Gnarr were the most likely to be displeased.

Last minute, but with a clean conscience

More than 30% of respondents said that they made their decision on who they were going to vote for on election day itself, with 11% saying they decided the day before.

87% said they voted for the candidate they most wanted to see become president, with the remaining 13% saying that they voted for someone different than who they wanted, but who they felt had a greater chance of winning. Amongst these voters, 23% voted for Halla Tómasdóttir; 15% voted for Halla Hrund; and 6% voted for Katrín.

Sign up for our weekly newsletter

Get news from Iceland, photos, and in-depth stories delivered to your inbox every week!

* indicates required

Subscribe to Iceland Review

In-depth stories and high-quality photography showcasing life in Iceland!