Teenager Dies of Morphine Overdose in Iceland Skip to content

Teenager Dies of Morphine Overdose in Iceland

By Iceland Review

An 18-year-old boy died on Wednesday night after overdosing on morphine tablets. The boy fell asleep and stopped breathing. His friend called 112 emergency services the next morning, but attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.

According to Fréttabladid, the two friends had been experimenting with morphine consumption at one of their homes, gradually increasing the dosage. Shortly before midnight on Wednesday, the boy who died was still conscious.

Then they fell asleep and the other boy didn’t realize until the next morning that his friend had stopped breathing. The 112 operator gave him directions through the phone on how to perform CPR. Police arrived shortly afterwards and continued with resuscitative attempts.

When the ambulance staff arrived, nothing more could be done.

This is the second case of overdose in Reykjavík in a short period of time. Fréttabladid reported late last year that a woman died in her home after injecting Ritalin into her system. She suffered a seizure, then lost consciousness and stopped breathing.

The people who were with her called emergency services, but by the time they reached the apartment, the woman was already dead.

Sign up for our weekly newsletter

Get news from Iceland, photos, and in-depth stories delivered to your inbox every week!

* indicates required

Subscribe to Iceland Review

In-depth stories and high-quality photography showcasing life in Iceland!