It is believed that a spark from a sanding wheel may have caused the powerful explosion which occurred at a home in Siglufjördur, north Iceland, on Tuesday evening, according to the investigative department of the Akureyri police.
The man who was injured in the explosion is being cared for at the ICU of Landspítali, the national hospital in Reykjavík. Copyright: Icelandic Photo Agency.
It appears that the man who was injured in the blast was working with a sanding wheel at the time of the explosion. A spark may have come into contact with inflammable chemicals that were stored close to where the man was working, Fréttabladid reports.
A fire started as a result of the explosion but neighbors were quick to put it out. The two-story timber house’s other inhabitant was located on the upper floor and is unharmed. The house suffered damages in the explosion, windows were shattered and walls shaken.
According to the latest news, the man’s condition is unchanged. He is being kept unconscious on a ventilator at the ICU of the Landspítali hospital in Reykjavík.
Click here to read more about the explosion.