Police Seek Witnesses: Bomb “Not Just Fireworks” Skip to content

Police Seek Witnesses: Bomb “Not Just Fireworks”

A bomb went off close to the Government Offices of Iceland in central Reykjavík between 6 and 7 am yesterday morning. Tens of people were called to the scene: police officers, members of the special forces and experts in explosive devices.


The Government Office of Iceland. Photo by Páll Stefánsson.

A fire truck and an ambulance were sent to the scene around 10 am and were stationed there for approximately an hour and a half, Morgunblaðið reports.

A custom-made robot from the Icelandic Coast Guard shot at the remains of the bomb with a high-pressure water pistol designed to detonate the bomb while preventing a full-blown explosion. Afterwards it was examined by a member of the Coast Guard’s bomb squad.

The police closed Hverfisgata from Lækjargata to Ingólfsstræti until noon and cleared two buildings: Hverfisgata 4 which facilitates the offices of the State Prosecutor, Attorney General and the International Monetary Fund, among other institutions, and Hverfisgata 4A where some of the Prime Ministry’s offices are located.

However, it was not considered necessary to clear the nearby Government Offices where a cabinet meeting was taking place, Fréttablaðið reports.

“This was for real. This was not a case of boys playing with fireworks,” commented Commissioner of the Reykjavík Metropolitan Police Stefán Eiríksson.

The bomb is believed to have comprised of a gasoline container, some sort of percussion cap and a battery. The explosion wasn’t powerful and didn’t cause any damage, although it did pose a threat within its immediate surroundings. It is clear that knowledge of explosives was necessary in order to build the device, the police state.

No one had been arrested as of yesterday evening and the police are calling for witnesses (call: (+354) 444-1000; (+354) 800-5005 or email: [email protected]).

A woman told RÚV yesterday that she had heard two loud explosions at 6:40 am and seen a man, whom she described as short, chubby and middle-aged, run away from the scene and drive off in a small white van.

An employee of the Government Offices also heard an explosion but didn’t know from where the noise came.

According to Morgunblaðið, the police are also investigating why notification of the bomb to the police’s central communication center did not lead to an immediate response.

Click here to read yesterday’s report on this story.


Sign up for our weekly newsletter

Get news from Iceland, photos, and in-depth stories delivered to your inbox every week!

Subscribe to Iceland Review

In-depth stories and high-quality photography showcasing life in Iceland!

Share article


Recommended Posts