Person Fired for not Disposing Asbestos Safely Skip to content

Person Fired for not Disposing Asbestos Safely

An employee of waste management company Íslenska gámafélagið was fired after it turned out that asbestos waste had not been disposed of properly but instead left in a non-secure area in Akureyri, North Iceland, as reported yesterday.

Asbestos fibers can cause serious illnesses, including lung cancer.

The company’s CEO Jón Þór Franzsson told that the employee had wanted to lease the container where the asbestos was kept as quickly and possible and had therefore been tempted to bury the waste illegally. It was discovered by coincidence.

“The substance was in a sealed container which was supposed to be transported to Sölvabakki [in Reykjavík] to be disposed of there. That is the correct way,” Jón Þórir stated, adding that the company’s work methods will be reviewed following the incident, which is considered to be very serious.

Sign up for our weekly newsletter

Get news from Iceland, photos, and in-depth stories delivered to your inbox every week!

* indicates required

Subscribe to Iceland Review

In-depth stories and high-quality photography showcasing life in Iceland!

Share article