Mussels from Hvalfjörður Now Safe to Consume Skip to content

Mussels from Hvalfjörður Now Safe to Consume

The Icelandic Food and Veterinary Authority (MAST) has been warning against consumption of mussels from Hvalfjörður fjord, West Iceland, for the past two years due to excessive levels of DSP algae, Skessuhorn reports. The algea causes Diarrhetic Shellfish Poisoning, a non-lethal form of food poisoning.

The authority analysed mussels from the area, harvested by Fossá river, at the beginning of this month. No toxic algae was detected in the nearby seawater, and algae levels detected in the mussels were within a safe range. MAST has therefore deemed it safe to gather and consume mussels from the area.

Sign up for our weekly newsletter

Get news from Iceland, photos, and in-depth stories delivered to your inbox every week!

* indicates required

Subscribe to Iceland Review

In-depth stories and high-quality photography showcasing life in Iceland!

Share article

Facebook
Twitter