Man Suffers Gas Poisoning at Iceland Power Plant Skip to content

Man Suffers Gas Poisoning at Iceland Power Plant

A man who collapsed after being subjected to gas poisoning while working at the Hellisheidi geothermal power plant outside Reykjavík around 3:30 this morning suffered serious injuries. He is currently being treated at the intensive care unit of the Landspítali hospital.

The Hellisheidi power plant. Photo by Páll Stefánsson.

Three employees of Reykjavík Energy were inside the engine room of the power plant when one of them noticed an unusually high level of geothermal gasses in the room, hydrogen sulphide and carbon dioxide, ruv.is reports.

Two of the men lost consciousness while the third got out unharmed and notified emergency services. Ambulances from Hveragerdi and Reykjavík, along with a tank truck from Reykjavík, arrived on the scene and the men were taken to the emergency room.

While one of the men is seriously injured, the injuries of the second man who lost consciousness are not as severe. The man who got out didn’t suffer any injuries at all.

The police and the Administration of Occupational Safety and Health in Iceland are investigating the accident.

Sign up for our weekly newsletter

Get news from Iceland, photos, and in-depth stories delivered to your inbox every week!

* indicates required

Subscribe to Iceland Review

In-depth stories and high-quality photography showcasing life in Iceland!

Share article

Facebook
Twitter