Man burned by geyser Skip to content

Man burned by geyser

A Polish man in his in his early 20s suffered 2nd degree burns yesterday morning when he stood too close to the geyser Strokkur, south Iceland, and hot water spurted over his feet. He was taken to a hospital and is recovering.

The man had been visiting the geyser area with four friends when the accident occurred. The men had misjudged the height of the geyser and one of them had not been able to move away from the water, Morgunbladid reports.

The Poles didn’t know what to do; there was no guard present and no service open. They began driving to Selfoss to seek help for their friend who was in agony.

Ástdís Kristjánsdóttir was on her way to work by Gullfoss waterfall and saw the men about 15 km away from the geyser area. She stopped her car and took the burn victim to a farm nearby where the residents cooled his wounds and then called the emergency services. An ambulance brought the man to a hospital in Reykjavík.

The man was released later that same day, but according to doctors, it may take two weeks for him to recover fully.

Kristjánsdóttir told Morgunbladid more needs to be done to make it clear to tourists how dangerous the geysers can be. There should also be a guard there at all times and an emergency button, she said.

A park ranger is responsible for the area, but he also has to guard the area by the Gullfoss waterfall.

Sign up for our weekly newsletter

Get news from Iceland, photos, and in-depth stories delivered to your inbox every week!

* indicates required

Subscribe to Iceland Review

In-depth stories and high-quality photography showcasing life in Iceland!

Share article

Facebook
Twitter