A small apartment complex in Hörðaland in Fossvogur in Reykjavík was evacuated last night due to a fire which had started in the basement apartment. Two people were taken to the emergency room because of smoke inhalation.
The apartment’s resident, one of those hospitalized, was home alone when the fire started. It is believed that the person had fallen asleep while cooking. The fire was reported at around 00:50 am, mbl.is reports.
According to the duty officer at the Reykjavík Metropolitan Fire Department, a fire was raging in the apartment when they got to it and the kitchen inventory was severely damaged. Soot was carried around the apartment and into the hallway.
About one hour after the nine apartments in the complex had been evacuated, the hallway had been cleared of smoke and the residents were allowed to return home. According to the police, other damages to the property were minor.
Yesterday, a woman was saved from a burning apartment in another Reykjavík apartment complex.