Close to 100 people had to seek shelter in a Red Cross emergency center in Vallaskóli school, Selfoss, after fire erupted in a plastic factory last night, RÚV reports. Poisonous fumes and smoke filled the neighborhood.
Fire fighters successfully focused on protecting nearby houses. Residents were allowed to return to their homes early morning.
One man was at work in the factory when the fire erupted, but he escaped without injury. Close to 200 fire fighters fought the fire. All available teams were called out from five different fire stations. They managed to put out the fire by 1:00 am, but kept a watch on the ruins all night.
The area is not considered secure, because some walls are still standing, as well as parts of the roof. Thus, there is a risk of collapse. The cause of the fire is unknown.