The District Court of East Iceland sentenced the director of Olís gas station in Reydarfjördur to a 30-day suspended prison sentence for having carelessly caused a chemical accident in Eskifjördur last year.
A young summer employee at the gas station, who had also been brought to court, was acquitted of all charges, Bladid reports.
The men were accused of having jeopardized public safety by transporting 1,000 liters of acetic acid instead of 1,000 liters of chlorine to the swimming pool in Eskifjördur.
The District Court of East Iceland concluded the director had shown carelessness in not checking the label of the tank before shipping it off to the swimming pool.
The summer employee pumped the acetic acid into the pool’s chlorine tank, according to his boss’ orders, which created poisonous chlorine gas that spread across the swimming pool area.
Forty-five individuals present at the time were poisoned by the gas, causing nausea, stinging eyes and irritation and pain to their respiratory organs and lungs.
Click here to read more about this story.