The establishment of a convent is being planned in the building that used to house the Lyfja pharmacy in Egilsstadir in the East Fjords. The nuns’ living quarters will be on the second floor and in the basement and a chapel and other facilities on the ground floor.
Skriduklaustur, where the old monastery was located. Photo by Geir Ólafsson.
Pharmacist Adda Birna Hjálmarsdóttir confirmed to Fréttabladid that Lyfja had decided to sell the building and in her opinion it will suit its new purpose well.
The nuns are coming to Egilsstadir on behalf of the Roman-Catholic Order of Friars Minor Capuchin, who founded a monastery in Kollaleira near the town of Reydarfjördur in 2007—the first in east Iceland in 450 years since the Skriduklaustur monastery closed.
At the moment, there is only one convent in Iceland, the Carmel convent in Hafnarfjördur in southwest Iceland, which was founded in 1940.
Click here to read more about the monastery in Kollaleira.