Another Fire: Two Taken to Hospital in Akureyri Skip to content

Another Fire: Two Taken to Hospital in Akureyri

Fire started in a clothes dryer in an apartment complex in Akureyri, north Iceland, shortly before midnight yesterday. Inhabitants spotted the fire and could keep it at bay with fire extinguishers until firefighters arrived and put it out.

akureyri-menningarhus_ps

Akureyri. Photo by Páll Stefánsson.

Two persons were taken to hospital for examination but they had not suffered smoke inhalation despite considerable smoke having drifted through their apartment. It was subsequently ventilated, visir.is reports.

The day before yesterday a three-year-old girl and four adults were in danger when a fire started in a refrigerator in a joint kitchen in an unauthorized apartment in a modified industrial building in Kópavogur.

A resident said there were no working fire detectors in the building and so they were lucky to escape unharmed. “I was very lucky [that I noticed the smoke]. My friends woke up late. If I had woken up an hour later I would have died,” Kamil Lewicki told visir.is.

The girl and three others were taken to the ER with a hint of smoke inhalation but they have now recovered.

Click here to read more about the fire.

ESA

Sign up for our weekly newsletter

Get news from Iceland, photos, and in-depth stories delivered to your inbox every week!

* indicates required

Subscribe to Iceland Review

In-depth stories and high-quality photography showcasing life in Iceland!

Share article

Facebook
Twitter