The police and fire department in Sandgerdi on Reykjanes peninsula in southwest Iceland were called out shortly after 8:30 pm last night because of an ammonia leak from the cooler system in the local fish processing plant, Slaegingarthjónusta Sudurnesja.
From Sandgerdi. Photo by Páll Stefánsson.
Two firefighters in chemical suits went inside the plant and managed to stop the leak, ruv.is reports.
The wind was blowing from the north when the accident occurred and so the chemical didn’t blow over the town but rather south towards the beach and over the ocean.
According to police, it is uncertain how much damage the leak caused; a considerable amount of fish was being stored inside the plant.