Search and rescue teams rescued two groups of travellers from the Meradalir eruption site yesterday evening. The site had been closed to visitors since early Sunday morning due to bad weather conditions, but not all travellers had respected the closure. After the two groups were rescued, crews combed the area to ensure no others were in the area and found a few more individuals who were escorted down to the parking lot.
The two groups, around ten people in total, had gotten lost on their way to the eruption site, a challenging hike of around 7 kilometres. Some had set off on the hike ill-prepared, despite being told to turn back by search and rescue volunteers who were on site.
Eruption site remains closed
The Department of Civil Bad weather has announced that the eruption site will remain closed to visitors today due to inclement weather. Authorities will meet at 8:30 AM tomorrow, Wednesday, August 10, to decide whether the site will be reopened.
Read more about what you need to know when visiting the Meradalir eruption.