How does the Icelandic healthcare system work? Skip to content
Icelandic healthcare system
Golli. Mass vaccination against COVID-19 at Laugardalshöll in Reykjavík
Q

How does the Icelandic healthcare system work?

A

Iceland has a publicly funded healthcare system, which means that everyone in the country, resident or not, is entitled to emergency healthcare. However, there are some considerations for foreign travellers – depending on your own insurance, you may be required to foot a part, or even all of, the bill.

Iceland is divided into seven healthcare districts, which offer basic medical services provided by nurses, general practitioners, specialist doctors, and other healthcare professionals. Immigrants to Iceland obtain public health insurance after six months of legal residency. Generally, Iceland uses a co-payment system, so healthcare is largely paid for by taxes (84%), with the patient responsible for the remaining cost (16%).

Healthcare fees in Iceland

The fee for a visit to a general practitioner during working hours is ISK 500 [$3.66, €3.36]. Some medical treatments, such as laboratory analysis or allergy tests, do cost extra, but the total cost cannot exceed ISK 34,950 [$256, €234] for adults each month. Children, elderly and disabled people have a lower maximum monthly fee. If you frequently need medical assistance and have exceeded the maximum, the monthly fee goes down to ISK 5,825 [$42, €39]. Dentistry and psychological services such as therapy are not included in public healthcare coverage for adults in Iceland.

Holders (EU and EEA nationals) of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) who are staying temporarily in Iceland are entitled to the same fees as locals for healthcare in Iceland. Make sure to bring your EHIC card and your passport in case you seek treatment. 

Share article

Facebook
Twitter

Random Questions and Answers

Ask Iceland Review
a Question
Latest news