Majority of Icelanders Support Vaccination of Children Aged 5-11

COVID-19 vaccination children

Just under 75% of Icelanders are in favour of vaccinating children aged 5-11 against COVID-19, according to the results of a newly-published survey from Maskína. Only 11% were opposed to vaccinating that age group. Icelandic health authorities began offering vaccination to 5 to 11-year-olds in January and 45% have already received their first dose.

The nearly 75% of respondents that were in favour of vaccinating the age group split into two camps: those who were “very much in favour” made up 49.3% of the total respondents, while those who were “rather in favour” made up 25%, for a total of 74.3%. Older respondents were more likely to be in favour of vaccination of children 5-11. In the oldest group (60+), 86% were in favour of vaccinating the demographic, while only 62% of those in the youngest group (18-29 years) were in favour of vaccinating 5 to 11-year-olds.

Categorising the responses by political affiliation revealed that supporters of the Left-Green Movement, Pirate Party, Social-Democratic Alliance, and the Socialist Party were most in favour of vaccinations for children 5-11. The survey took place between January 6 and 17 had 902 respondents from across the country.

Vaccination is optional and free for all age groups in Iceland. In the case of children, both parents or guardians must approve vaccination for their child. Only the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine has been approved for use in those 15 years of age and younger in Iceland.

Of Iceland’s total population, 78% are fully vaccinated, and 52.3% have received a booster dose.

Largest Catch in Icelandic History – 3,400 Tonnes

Börkur ship fishing

Fishing vessel Börkur NK likely broke an Icelandic record when it landed 3,409 tonnes of capelin in Seyðisfjörður last week. The capelin had been caught over four days, and it took 18 hours to transfer it onto land. There are only two other vessels in the Icelandic fleet that could land a catch of similar size.

Fish processing company Síldarvinnslan hf. posted about the catch last week, saying that only Börkur’s sister ship Vilhelm Þorsteinsson EA, as well as Beitir NK, would have the capacity to land such a large catch (with Beitir having significantly less cargo space than the other two ships).

Eggert Ólafur Einarsson, factory manager of Síldvarvinnslan in Seyðisfjörður, says the capelin is high-grade. “This is quality material and the processing is going very well. There’s good fishing now and the processing is going very well,” Eggert stated, adding that the company was preparing to land from another vessel, Barði.

Capelin catch quotas issued by the Icelandic Marine and Freshwater Research Institute have fluctuated in recent years, with no quota at all being issued in the 2019-2020 season. Last year’s quota was issued late, but later increased several times after research expeditions detected more fish.

Hálfdan Hálfdanarson, who sat in the captain’s chair when Börkur headed out to sea once more, stated that the crew’s spirits were high. “Everyone’s in high spirits here on board, since we’re experiencing a real capelin season.”